I don’t know if you guys do this too but I get searching on the internet and something will catch my eye and i’ll have to build it. This is exactly what happened for this project. I was surfing through Pinterest when I stubbled across this star. When I first glanced at the star, it wasn’t the “oh cool a star” that caught my eye, it was the challenge of all the angles needed to build the star that really intrigued me. The example on pinterest looked really good in a barn wood type material so I figured some pallet wood would give a simial affect. Sense its close to christmas, this project has a purpose too!
To get started on this project, I first rough cut 10 pieces of pallet wood to 14″ long at the miter saw. Because pallet wood doesn’t really have straight sides, I made a simple sled for the table saw to straighten one side.I’ll be able to reuse this sled later on to cut the long angles. Once I had one side straight I could easily straighten the other side by just using the fence.
Before we go much further, we needed to know what angles we need to cut. As you probably all ready know, there are a ton of spots on the internet to get this information but here is the link for the one I used:
So now that we have a good straight surface to reference off of, we can lay out our angles.The first one is the shorter one which is 54 degrees (36 on the miter saw). Make a mark about two inches in from the edge and use a protractor to mark out the angle. You can then join the two marks, thus giving you your cut line.
I decided to make the length about 10″ from the first mark we made to where the second angle will be marked, but you can choice what ever length you want.
After I have a mark at 10″ i can lay out my next angle which is 18 degrees. connect the two marks to get your cut line.
The first angle is cut easily at the miter saw. Don’t forget that your 54 degree angle equates to 36 degrees on the miter saw.
The second angle is a little harder to get. I lines up my cut line with the edge of my table saw sled. I then could screw a couple of fences to give the work piece a spot to rest against. I finally added a clamp to hold it firmly as I ran it through the table saw.
Before a glued anything, I dry fitted everything together and marked it for a biscuit on each joint. Only the end grain joints need it for strength but I added one on the long joints to help line things up during the glue up. then it was just a matter of cutting the grooves with a biscuit jointer and gluing it together.
The glue up was probably on of the hardest i’ve ever done. I started by first gluing up the 5 star legs and then once they where dried, I glued the 5 legs together. It was a lot of joints to try to clamp at once but I did manage to get it without to many gaps.
The finish was simple. First let the wife and kids paint it with a latex paint and then go over it with a sander to give it a rough look. Then I covered it with a varathane finish to add durability as well as add to the rustic look.
And thats it!!