Ipod docking station


I’ve had a little docking station buried in a closest for about two years now and Its either time to throw it out or do something with it. I’m not even sure where I got it but its seems to be in somewhat working condition. One of the speakers seems to cut in and out but the other one seems fine.

Thinking back, I really can’t remember where I came up with the idea to make a wooden box for the docking station components. I think I was just trying to figure out what I was going to do for my next video and I remember seeing a pretty cool commercially made wooden radio somewhere and thought it would be a pretty fun project.

I actually don’t have a picture of the stereo before I took it apart but it was pretty ugly, and not something that I wanted in a spot that would be in eye shot all the time.

 

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.19.09 PM

with all the electronic out, I can get rough measurements for actually box size. I figured because on speaker is bad I would just use the one good speaker along with the control panel right next to it gives me an overall length of 10″ by 5″ wide. I found some left over walnut which I think would work perfect for this project.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.23.42 PM

Here I laid out for the speaker and charger location. I then chiseled out a rectangle hole for the “dock”.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.26.57 PM

The speaker vents where cut on the table saw. I clamped a couple of slots on the table so the workpiece wouldn’t move around. I then slowly raised the blade until the length of the cut was equal to that part of the circle. I repeated this until I had 6 slits cuts.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.30.33 PM

Here I measured out where the hole would go, making sure they lined up with the button one the control panel. I then drilled the three holes. the buttons would be made from maple. I made some 3/8 square stock, then rounded one end to fit in the hole.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.32.35 PM

With a rabbit milled on all the pieces for the 1/4 maple sides and a large hole in the bottom cut out to gain access, I then glue everything together.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.35.06 PM

3/4″ dados where milled in the four comers for maple feet. I scored the back fibres with a sharp knife to prevent blowout.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.37.27 PM

I simply glued the feet in to place the flush sanded all sides. I used a rub on polyurethane for  the finish. I did this before installing all the electronics.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.40.36 PM

Finally all the electronics were installed. The hole was then covered with a piece of 1/4″ maple plywood.

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.43.10 PM

This was a pretty fun project to do and it only took me the weekend to complete. I definitly get a lot of compliment and questions when people first see this project.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.